Brief Introduction of the Department
Year of Establishment: 2014
Departmental milestones at a glance (last five years*):
- No. of NET/SLET qualified students in last five years - 1
- No. of Ph.D. produced in last five years - nil
- No. of registered / enrolled Ph.D. scholars (present) - 16
- No. of research publication in peer reviewed journals in last five years - 25
- Average impact factor of the research publication -
- No. of books published in last five years - 6
- No. of seminar/conference organized by the department - 5
- No. of foreign visit by faculty members and scholars during last five years - 6
- No of special lecture organized by the department - 10
- Total research grant received during last five years - 2
- No. awards/honours received by the faculty members during last five years - 2
- Departmental recognition
- No. of Seminar / conference / workshop attended by the faculty members during last five years - 60
- No. of research collaboration within India - 1
- No. of research collaboration outside India - 1
- No. of MOU signed
Extension activity by the department:
- The Department organized an educational visit to Indian Museum, National Library
- The Department organized an Educational Tour to Mogolmari and Jhargram.
- The students of the Department participated in Legal Awareness Programme organized by the university.
- The students of the Department participated in debates, creative writing competitions, poster competitions on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- The Department of History along with the Department of Women’s Studies participated in an outreach programme in Birbhum on 29 October 2018.
- The Department of History along with the Department of Political Science conducted a Gender Awareness Programme at Sundarban College, Kakdwip, South 24 Parganas on 12 October 2018.
- The Department conducted a workshop on Gender Awareness at Sunadarban Hazi Desharat College on 15 December 2017
- The Department of History conducted a Gender Awareness and Legal Literacy Programme at Acharya Prafulla Chandra College, New Barrackpore, on 5 December 2017. Ms Subhasree Raptan of Goranbose Gram Bikash Kendra spoke on the menace of trafficking and their efforts at rehabilitation of victims of trafficking.
- The Department of History conducted an interactive session with students for creating Gender Awareness at Dhruba Chand Halder College, Dakshin Barasat, South 24 Parganas, on 27 November 2017.
- The students of the Department of History participated in several awareness programmes conducted by the West Bengal Police under the banner of Swayangsiddha in March and April 2017.
Major Strengths of the department:
- Young, energetic, dynamic and responsible faculty
- Students are industrious and sincere with respectful attitude towards teachers
- Adequacy of space for smooth running of the departmental activities.
- Interdisciplinary orientation of faculty members
Major Challenges of the department:
- To equip the students with the knowledge and smartness necessary for succeeding in the competitive world.
- To strengthen departmental collaboration with different government and non- governmental agencies.
- To successfully place the students of this department in various governmental and private sector jobs.
- To upgrade the department as a whole with adequate staff and appropriate teaching and research facilities
- To create an ambience conducive to cutting edge research.
Future plan of the department:
- To establish a Gender Studies researchcentre.
- To establish a Partition Studies research centre
- To organize a research methodology workshop in History
- To have language training centers. Emphasis will be given on Sanskrit, English, French, Spanish and others.
- To organisefaculty exchange programme with national and international collaboration
- To have special research programme on Dalit, Minority and Tribal affairs.
- M.A./ M.Sc. level: 55 per semester