Brief Introduction of the Department
Department of Geography, Diamond Harbour Women’s University started its journey towards excellence in January 2014, as a faculty of Science. At present department comprises Six faculty members i.e. ProfessorSujit Mandal, Dr. Shovan Ghosh,Dr.AnindyaBasu,Dr. Kapil Ghosh, Mr. Somnath Sarkar and Mr. Rajesh Kerketta. As a field based practical oriented subject, all the faculty members whole heartedly tried their best for making the course curriculum more down to earth. We have designed our practical course especially more useful with the aid of advance RS-GIS technologies. Our dedicated vision is to provide an updated technological expertise for authentic map making and geo-spatial analysis to the students and certainly it will provide decision support to the decision makers. In spite of financial scarcity, authority has provided dedicated financial support for purchasing quality and costly software. Along with RS-GIS technologies, handling of statistical tools with advance modality was also another vision of this department. We hope this direction will fruitfully help our students to build up their career as a geographer. Initially we had started with some basic instruments but we are under the process of procuring several sophisticated instruments.We are trying our best for developing Soil and Environment Laboratory. The works related to furnishing of infrastructure and purchasing of necessary equipment is in progress and hope soon it will produce benefits for our beloved students. All these are possible due to our sensitive Hon’ble Vice Chancellor Professor Anuradha Mukhopadhyay. Untiring support from our students since from the beginning and their willingness to adopt spatial technology based orientation of curricular activities.
Within limited facilities, we had a dream to make our students who are from poor background more promising. Therefore, in curriculum, we included term paper preparation and presentation; field survey, reporting, dissertation works, class lecture etc. Department, since from the beginning, encouraged students for appearing in national and state level examinations i.e. NET/SET. In this aim the department have arranged NET/SET Remedial Coaching Class for all students of Geography.
It is a matter of great pride that within this short period of 4 years, Department is not only confined only with PG semester studies. At present Department has also opened up Ph.Dcourses since 2018. Students from various regions of Bengal and outside come to the Department without a slightest doubt. A good many students are interested for research work and this endeavour certainly will help to reach our department in goal.
We would like to see our department not only within our building. We must join our attempt for the benefits of the society concerned. No such land mark work we did yet, but since from its infant stage, we have started building suitable database for surrounding region for addressing different problems related to geography through small projects in form of field report, term paper projects, dissertation projects, and Ph.D. Thesis.
Year of Establishment: 2014
Departmental milestones at a glance (last five years*)::
- No. of NET/SLET qualified students in last five years - 03
- No. of Ph.D. produced in last five years - Research Ongoing
- No. of registered / enrolled Ph.D. scholars (present) - Registered Candidate: 10 Enrolled Candidates : 07
- No. of research publication in peer reviewed journals in last five years - 128
- Average impact factor of the research publication - 0.5- 2.0
- No. of books published in last five years - 03 (Chapters in Books :23)
- No. of seminar/conference organized by the department - National Webinar: 02 International Web Conference: 01
- No. of foreign visit by faculty members and scholars during last five years - Faculty Members: 07
- No of special lecture organized by the department - Invited Lectures: 12
- Total research grant received during last five years - Prof. Sujit Mondal: 9,00,000/-, Dr. Kapil Ghosh: 8,60,536/-
- No. awards/honours received by the faculty members during last five years - Total: 10
- Departmental recognition
- No. of Seminar / conference / workshop attended by the faculty members during last five years - Seminar: 69, Workshop: 15
- No. of research collaboration within India - N/A
- No. of research collaboration outside India - 01
- No. of MOU signed - N/A
Extension activity by the department
- Apart from regular academic classes, excursions, field visits the department has taken initiatives in engaging the students in extension activities. To commemorate the World Environment Day in 2018 cleaning of the riverfront at Diamond Harbour along with awareness generation about plastic pollution among the common people was initiated in collaboration with West Bengal Pollution Control Board. Besides, yearly in-campus sapling plantation drive is taken up by the department to increase the green cover.
Major Strengths of the department:
- A perfect blend of experienced and young faculties with seamless mutual cooperation provides a congenial environment for learning
- The students of the department mostly come from very modest background but the eagerness of the first-generation leaners generates positive vives in the department.
- The course offers specialization in both physical and social branches nurturing the latent interest of the young, inquisitive minds.
- Adequacy of space for smooth running of the departmental activities having spacious classrooms, well-equipped RS-GIS laboratory.
- Emphasis is given on all round development of the students – apart from regular classes, special lectures, symposiums are organised for making them familiar with contemporary research trends and through field-based, problem-oriented project works the students are encouraged to serve the societal responsibilities too.
- Efforts are taken to prepare the students for the real-life situations in academic and professional fields through honing of their presentation and communicative skills and efforts are taken to arrange regular extra classes for NET-SET preparation.
Major Challenges of the department:
- Inadequate number of non-teaching staffs.
- Lack of well-equipped departmental library and specialized laboratories.
- Insufficient placement opportunities for the students
- To strengthen the departmental collaboration with different governmental and non-governmental agencies.
Future plan of the department:
- Certificate Course on Geo-informatics of 6 months duration
- International Seminar/Webinar
- National Seminar/Webinar
- National Work shop on ‘Qualitative and QuantitativeResearch Methodology’and ‘Research Writing in Social Sciences’
- National Work shop on ‘Data Analysis through SPSS and R Software’
- Total Number of Books : 641
- Number of Journal Subscribed : 01 (Geographical Review of India)
- Prof. Sujit Mandal:
Certificate of Reviewing Award’ May 2017 by the Editors of GEOSCIENCE FRONTIERS, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherland
- Dr. Shovan Ghosh:
Best Paper Presenter in International Conference on “Urban Development”, Organized by Institute for Social Development and Research, Ranchi, on 10th-12th March, 2018, India
1best Chairperson in International Conference, organized by Institute for Social Development and Research, Ranchi on March, 2019
- Dr. Kapil Ghosh:
Young Geomorphologists Award(Fellowship) of International Association of Geomorphologists in AIG Regional Conference – 2019 (Greece)
- M.A./ M.Sc. level: 60 per semester
List of Instruments available in the Department:
||LISS III (4) , LANDSAT (10)
||31 licenced GIS software
||Image Processing Software
||10 licenced image processing software
||Toposheets (Soft Copy)
||Computers (Faculty members)
||Scanner cum Printer (RS &GIS Laboratory)
||Computers (RS& GIS Laboratory)
||Printers in Office of the HOD and RS& GIS Laboratory
||Soil PH Meter
||Augur (Soil Sample Collector)
||Soil Sample Preparation Instrument